Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ocean Sciences meeting, Honolulu 2014

My first Ocean Sciences meeting was the largest of them all. 10000 strong at the conference center in Honolulu. I was there with the DeLong lab and gave a talk about my Single Cell Genomic study from the Aloha Station. It was daunting that my first dip of my toe in the waters of oceanography was in company of all the big fish of the field.

The keynote speaker was spectacular. Elizabeth Kapu'uwailani Lindsey told us about her work to preserve the knowledge from indigenous people. With her upbringing in a traditional Hawaiian society and close study under one of the last Polynesian navigator priests, she has a very rare insight in how rich the knowledge is that is threatened to be lost forever. See her Ted talk here:

I also greatly enjoyed Roger Hanlon's plenary session on how not to be seen - cuttlefish style, as explain in his TedTalk here:

No comments:

Post a Comment